BMW Classic 501 and 502 Review - BMW 501 car is a sedan Deluxe produced by BMW from 1952 to 1958. It was first introduced at the Frankfurt auto show in 1951, the 501 was the first motor vehicle must be produced and sold by BMW after the Second World War. 501 and its derivatives, including the V8 powered BMW 502, nicknamed "Baroque Angel" by Germany. BMW 502 is the first car of a post-war Germany to be produced with a V8 engine. While the model numbers 501 and 502 were discontinued in 1958, a variety of a range of models, with the same platform and body, which continued until 1963.
After losing everything you have reached the end of WW2, BMW may have been maintaining good image built from the purchase of the Dixie car company in 1928, but you have to start from scratch in a new factory in Munich. Despite the fall of this magnitude, it is aimed at the media and the upper classes are the same customers who buy a car before the war s - enter into direct competition with Mercedes-Benz.
Heavy vehicles are 501, closely based on 326 before the war. It has very complicated style 501 baptized as 'Baroque Angel'. Under the body, there is the old six cylinder engine and independent suspension new. It is a very good car, but Mercedes-Benz produces better cars and sells them for less money. BMW 501 increases during life, first with 501A, later 501/3, and the model were developed eventually in a V8 powered 502, a machine much better. These cars do not except the BMW, but allowed to stay in business during a period that was witness to many car companies seem to be more stable. Production at the factory in Eisenach for BMW cars restarted at the end of 1945, with the war BMW model. However, Eisenach is located in the Soviet zone of occupation and the car not produced by BMW AG, but by manufacturing Soviet Autovelo entity. Although not made by BMW, cars bore the BMW logo and sold as the BMW.
Meanwhile, BMW AG making repeated in minor scale, from pots and pans and eventually moved into the bicycle and home hardware. Finally, with the permission of the United States, Government and funds from banks where BMW has been incorporated into the police station began manufacturing motorcycles in 1948. To put an end to the trademark violation continues Autovelo, BMW Eisenach branch was dissolved effective 28 September 1949, and the law was beheaded on 11 October. Without the legal arguments to continue using the name and logo of BMW, I Autovelo renamed EMW (Eisenach Motored Were) and colorless blue logo in red.
501 is the new platform, with a perimeter, double front suspension frame arm with torsion of the spring shaft, and a live axle with torsion springs in the rear. The steering mechanism is similar to the system and save Rack Pinion is a semicircular instead of straight. 501 M337 engine, powered by a development of the BMW M78 used in prewar BMW 326. Four-speed gearbox was added to the engine, but the shaft mounted between the second and third unit studs. Time isolated gearbox placement caused the complex relationship to the action of mounted shifter column, resulting in a vague, also increases the space for the front passenger. The body was designed at the home of Peter Schimanowski. After seeing the prototype, the BMW management commissioned Pininfarina to build alternatives. The prototype from Pininfarina was considered too similar to his design for the Alfa Romeo 1900 salon, so lived the BMW with Schimanowski design. Weave is that Schimanowski has been calculated to be much heavier than the finish of the car that has a dry weight of 1,430 pounds (3,150 lb). Performance suffers as a result, with a maximum speed of 135 km/h (84 mph) and reach speeds up to 100 km/h (62 mph) takes about 27 seconds, which does not compare with the six-cylinder Mercedes-Benz 220.
An innovation is its attention to passive safety. The car offered a strong chassis providing lateral protection medium impact, very short columns with the gear system of the wheel well behind the front of the car and the fuel tank in a carefully protected above the rear axle to minimize the risk of fire in the event of accident.
BMW Classic 501 and 502 Review - BMW 502Before the construction of the first prototype 501, Boning has calculated the mass of the car as designed and realized that a six-cylinder engine will be barely enough to power a car. He proposed the development of larger engines for future versions of power cars management, which received the proposal. Boning started the design and development of the same V8 engine design of the General Oldsmobile rocket V8 to and, then, with a single camshaft in vies above the valve in cradle of operation in the form of combustion chambers through pushrods. BMW OHV V8 engine is different from the contemporary Detroit in the use of the cylinder block aluminum alloy with liners of iron, and small in size, initially with 74 mm (2.9) bore & stroke 75 mm (3.0 in), giving a displacement of 2580 cc (cu 157). V8 development made by Fritz Fiedler, who replaced Boning as BMW chief engineer in 1952.
V8 engine was introduced at the salon in Geneva in 1954 as the car engine BMW 502 sedan. Using the same chassis and body is essentially the same as 501, 502 was more luxurious appointed and, with a light V8 engine producing 100 HP (75 kW) with a single two Solex carburetor, which is faster. The top speed was published 160 kilometers per hour (99 mph) is much greater than the first version of six-cylinder Ponton Mercedes launched the same year. At the time of the introduction of the 502 reported production of faster passenger sedan from Germany.
502 V8 powered cars are recognized as Germany's first postwar, but the high price of DM17, 800 causing low sales; only 190 were sold in the first year of production. BMW 502 501 distinguished by additional chrome trim and more luxurious furniture. Fog lamps and individual guest chairs are also included as a standard feature. 502 something reformed in 1955 with wraparound rear window. As well as the version sedan, BMW offered to Baur built two-door cabriolet and coupé versions the 502 in 1954 and 1955. 501s and the 502s were also converted into ambulances and hearses. The 501 and 502 model designation was discontinued in 1958, when the 501 V8 was renamed BMW and 2.6 502 2.6 Lexus from the switch. The car was proceeding under the designation model until 1961 with only two notable Change: power steering became the main choice in 1959, while the front brake discs were added in 1960. In 1961, the model designation was changed again, machine b. 2600 and 2600 2600 l tuned to deliver 110 HP (82 kW). Its production ended in 1963.
Development of the V8 engine was introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in 1955. It has a bore of 82 mm (2.0 in.), giving it a capacity of 3.168 cc (cu in 193.3). The machine makes debut in four new cars at the show, the two-seat convertible, coupe, 503 507 505 limousines of prototype and development of BMW 502 3.2, which has no model number and identified only by their displacement in liters. Used in 3.2 and 505, engine with a compression ratio of 7.2:1, original 7.0:1 2.6 L V8 engine. In this song, the machine produces 120 horsepower (89 kW) final drive ratio increased from 4,225: 1 in small-engine sedan to 3.89:1 in 3.2 to reduce the fuel consumption of the engine.